Newport Historical Society's Museum and Shop at the Brick Market
The perfect place to begin your visit to Newport’s Old Quarter.
Newport History Walking Tours
See Newport the way George Washington experienced
it in 1781 with the Newport History Tours.
This oldest standing synagogue in the United States has been virtually unaltered since its dedication.
Newport Art Museum & Art Association
Home for the Museum since 1916, the Griswold House is a National
Historic Landmark and an Official Project of Save America’s Treasures.
The Redwood Library & Athenćum
The Redwood Library and Athenćum is the oldest lending library in
America, and the oldest library building in continuous use in the
The Whitehorne House
of the best examples of Newport and Rhode Island furniture from the
late 18th century.
The Great Friends Meeting House
This oldest surviving house of worship in Newport was built by the Quakers, whose “plain style” of living greatly influenced 18th-century life, as seen in the area’s architecture, decorative arts, and early landscape.
White Horse Tavern (circa 1673)
Open for lunch and dinner
One of America’s oldest taverns still in operation.
The Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House
The site of Newport’s 1765 Stamp Act riot, this house is the best example of early Colonial vernacular architecture in New England. Furnished with Colonial antiques, it also contains fine Colonial decorative arts.
The Seventh Day Baptist Meeting House
The oldest surviving Baptist church in America; its restored interior includes an intricately carved pulpit and stair.
The Newport Historical Society
Devoted to preserving books, collections, manuscripts,
and objects pertaining to Newport's history.
Colonial Jewish Burying Ground
Served as the cemetery for New England’s Jews
throughout the 17th and 18th centuries.
The Newport Reading Room
Private members club
The Old Stone Mill, Touro Park
For decades the mill was attributed to Viking explorers, although it was actually built for the first governor of Rhode Island, Benedict Arnold (great-grandfather of the patriot/ traitor), who once had lived near a similar windmill in England.
Trinity Church (circa 1726)
The various shapes and sizes of its box pews reflect the individuality of the congregation’s original members.
The Armory (chartered 1741)
The Artillery Company, a ceremonial unit of the Rhode Island Militia, was chartered in 1741 by Britain’s King George II. The company in 1845 built the Armory, which is now a museum.
Newport Restoration Foundation Hedquarters
Located in the Wilbour-Ellery House, which Joshua Wilbour built around 1801 and quickly sold to William Ellery Jr., son of one of Rhode Island's two signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Private Colonial homes of the NRF
This remarkable collection of Colonial houses, all owned and meticulously maintained by the Newport Restoration Foundation, represent early Rhode Island architecture and are privately rented. Learn more about these buildings’ heritage on a guided walking tour. For more information go to to www.Newporthistorytours.org